Subject: RE: [docbook-apps] Re: [docbook] DocBook and Google Summer of Code ?

Stefan and the DocBook community,

Stefan, thanks for bringing the deadline to everyone's attention.

I would be glad to act as administrator for the DocBook project.

To that end, there are a few things that need to happen that I cannot do
on my own:

1) We need some mentors; so far, Stefan is the only person who has
signed on as a mentor. Seems to me that we need at least two or three
projects with mentors to make a credible application.

2) We need backup mentor for each project. It's not essential, but it
would help the application and would also make sure that students have
more than one person to work with in case someone is out of town, etc.

I suggest the following schedule:

1) Until March 8 (next Monday) I'll leave the wiki open
(http://docbook.xmlpress.net) for anyone to edit (for those just looking
into this, you need to sign up, but it's automatic and easy). Please
look at the projects, add any you are willing to be mentor for, and sign
up as mentor or backup mentor for any project. Also, if you sign up as a
mentor, please fill out the description if it needs some extra
information, and send me your contact information.

2) On March 8, I'll remove any projects that don't have mentors, and if
we have at least two projects with mentors, I'll begin preparing the
application.

3) During the week I'll work with the mentors on the application and
make it available for review on the wiki.

4) By Friday the 12th, I'll submit the application.

This is the first time I've been involved with the Google Summer of
Code, so I'm open to input from anyone concerning the process and
anything else to do with this project.

Best Regards,
Dick Hamilton
---------------------------------
XML Press
XML for Technical Communicators
http://xmlpress.net
(970) 231-3624

soc2010/timeline)

We have had some discussion on possible tasks, and even a temporary wiki

set up for this purpose (http://docbook.xmlpress.net).

Even though, I'm afraid it isn't quite clear whether to move forward or
not, and in particular, who is in charge of this.
I'd be happy to help, as I have participated as mentor a couple of times

in the past), but I'm not able to lead the effort, mostly because I'm
not a docbook (core) developer myself.

Yet I think this presents a great opportunity to a) spread the word
about DB, b) help work on issues and features that core developers
haven't enough time to address themselves.

Norm, Dave, Bob, et al.: Do you think this is worthwhile ?

Thanks,
         Stefan