Subject: RE: [docbook-apps] RFE: roundtripping to/from adobe IDML

Hello,

since InDesign has introduced IDX format (the first xml interchange attempt)
I've been thinking it would be nice to transform my docbook document into it
- still to keep a single source publishing approach, but to produce
outstanding printed outputs. In my case there is no need for any manual
postprocessing (and I am surprised somebody is looking for that), it was
intended just for utilizing InDesign as a rendering engine. BTW up to know I
don't understand why Adobe doesn't offer its own XSL-FO processor with all
these typographical features implemented in it. Between these (most of them
is patented) belongs optical kerning, multi-line coomposer, hanging
punctuation, support for Open Type features like ligatures and so on.

But I gave it up quite early. It was too ambitious and my xslt knowledge so
poor. My stopper were tables. InDesign and DocBook table models were two
different worlds and I was unable to find any method, how to transform them
correctly.

There was quiet for so long...

I appreciate any effort in this area, but on the other hand I am a bit
skeptic as ID is proprietary and quite expensive tool. This reduces the
target group of possible users and thus any effort of voluntary coders.

I have no connection to Adobe as well, I just like good typography.

Ragards,
Jan