Subject: RE: [docbook-apps] RE: Indexterms - see pointing to secondary

Jirka Kosek [mailto:jirka@kosek.cz] wrote:

> Cavicchio_Rob@emc.com wrote:
> > honyk [mailto:j.tosovsky@email.cz] wrote:
> >
> >> I am even thinking to support something like this in the DocBook schema
> -
> >> add some linkend attribute to the see element and place there,
> optionally
> >> id
> >> of needed index entry. This link would be automatically (in XSLT)
> resolved
> >> to the appropriate text, according to the used level:
> >> See primary
> >> See primary, secondary
> >> See primary, secondary, tertiary
> >

> > This seems like quite a reasonable request to me. In fact, I had never
> before looked closely at the content model of <see>, but it genuinely
> surprises me that it uses text instead of an ID as the target. That seems
> very non-structured-authoring-like.
>
> But to what should such ID link? If you would like to link to indexterms
> in document you will have to add IDs to indexterms, but such ID should
> be given only to one occurrence of particular indexterm. Then you will
> have to manage mapping to IDs of anchors generated in index.

This would not be so different from the way <footnote> and <footnoteref> work, which seem fine to me.

> But anyway you can use <xref/> inside <see> element and customize
> stylesheets to do something sensible with it.

I like that idea.

*************************
Rob Cavicchio
Principal Technical Writer
EMC Captiva
EMC Corporation
10145 Pacific Heights Boulevard, 6th Floor
San Diego, CA 92121-4234

P: (858) 320-1208
F: (858) 320-1010
E: cavicchio_rob@emc.com

The opinions expressed here are my personal opinions. Content published here is not read or approved in advance by EMC and does not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of EMC.