Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Customizing procedure steps

Hi Robert,
No, you are not missing something obvious, it is harder than it should be.  Although
there is a gentext entry for step in context="title", it is not used by the
stylesheets.  Instead, the step number is generated using its own template in
common/common.xsl that starts with:

<xsl:template match="step" mode="number">

You could add your own call to the gentext templates there.

However, it also turns out that the indent for procedure steps is hard coded in the
template with match="procedure" in fo/lists.xsl:

    <fo:list-block xsl:use-attribute-sets="list.block.spacing"
                   provisional-distance-between-starts="2em"
                   provisional-label-separation="0.2em">

So you will have to customize that template as well in order to change the
provisional-distance-between-starts property to make space for "Step".  That indent
should be a parameter, as it is for other list elements.