Subject: Suppressing elements in processed output.

Hi.  I'm relatively new to DocBook, so this may be completely off track.

In short I want to know what the best way is to suppress an element in
the processed output.

I have multiple articles that include one <abstract> element per article
that is used as a summary of the article.  (If I should be using
something other than <abstract> please let me know what I should use.)
I am then XIncluding the <title> and <abstract> of the articles using
XInclude lines with an XPointer referencing the ID of the element to
include.  This is working just fine.

What I want to know how to do is suppress the output of the <abstract>
in the original article when I'm processing it by its self.

I added the <abstract> to the articles for the purpose of being
XIncluded elsewhere and I want it to not show up unless it's explicitly
referenced.  I guess you could look at the <abstract> as meta data for
the article that I want there to be used by other DocBooks, not to be
used the the article its self.

How would I go about suppressing an element in the individual article(s)?

Thanks in advance.

Grant. . . .