Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Word 2007+ to DocBook

Greg,

One of the reasons that you don't see many tools for conversion is that it is usually a "one way"  trip and after it is converted, it stays in Docbook. (at least in my world it does). However, if you want to make the round trip then the structure of the Word document needs to be controlled in a way that makes that possible - hence the "round trip" stylesheets.

I am moving Word docs into Docbook on fairly constant basis, but not back again. I use a Java based tool called Majix (majix.sf.net) which is a rather blunt tool, but it does help in the conversion to the point of creating valid Docbook files. From there I usually do a bit of clean up (i.e. changing a numbered list to a procedure, etc). I have also tuned that tool to create better output with less cleanup.

Let me know if this is something that would work for you and I can step you through any issues.

Regards,
Dean Nelson