Subject: RE: [docbook-apps] Remove title attribute from divs in HTML?

Hi Bob,

> Certainly it can be changed.  I was the one who added title attribute
> to the
> common.html.attributes template under the mistaken impression that it
> should be a
> common attribute, but now I can see that it may not be appropriate.

in general I would agree that the title attribute is appropriate - after all
it is valid HTML, too. What is annoying though is the browsers' behavior to
display the very same tooltip all the time when the mouse pointer is moved.
If browsers didn't do this the title attribute could be helpful in other use
cases (for search engines maybe if they parse it). That's why I think it's
best to remove the title attribute again.

> Looking into its
> usage a bit more, it appears that the title attribute is best used on
> links to provide
> the title of the target of the link.  Are there other places where it
> should be used?

I agree it's a good idea to use the title for links.

Boris