Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Question on CDATA in XML

Fabien,

FYI -  "µ"  is an XML ENTITY which is valid XML.

It sounds like you are close to working through your problem. In following this thread, I wondered if you could strip the RTF into a text file and then use XInclude. It may get messy since it sounds like you have a lot of bits of text which would equate to a lot of files but that could work.

Regards,
Dean Nelson

In a message dated 06/25/10 08:22:47 Pacific Daylight Time, f.tillier@cerep.fr writes:
Well...
I am using the apache commons lang  package to encode the special characters (the one remaining after the rtf conversion, like µ). It encodes 'µ' as 'µ'. If I want to have an Unicode hex encoding, I have to stop using it and write my own...
Unless there is another package I can use ?
For my understanding, µ is valid HTML, not XML, that why it is further encoded by the XSLt to 'µ' right ?

Thanks a lot for your help, Dave.

Regards,
Fabien

-----Message d'origine-----
De : Dave Pawson [mailto:davep@dpawson.co.uk]
Envoyé : vendredi 25 juin 2010 16:54
À : docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org
Objet : Re: [docbook-apps] Question on CDATA in XML

On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 16:31:51 +0200
"Fabien Tillier" <f.tillier@cerep.fr> wrote:

> Ok, so I have changed my RTF to HTML conversion stuff so that it
> strips all HTML tags (so I am lo osing some formatting), and it works
> better (I don't have thoses CDATA things anymore), except that I have
> encoded characters (like &alpha;)

You need to check your character level encoding throughout,
end to end.
Once it's in XML, & => & etc.
If you want alpha, then use unicode character level encoding,
e.g. & # x 0 3 b 1 ;  (spaced in case it is messed up)

that are showing up (which is
> perfectly normal) but are not displayed by the browser as their
> entity counterpart (here an alpha symbol). I assume I am missing
> something like a transformation from &alpha; to &alpha; Is it
> something that has to be implemented specifically (and how) in a
> customization template or is there a magical option that can be
> used ? Thanks a lot in advance Best regards, Fabien

Once in XML that alpha as a character entity is just as valid as any
other character.
Prior to that, it's up to you.

HTH

--