Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] DocBook/XSL/FO-HTML and Table Column Widths

Hi Tom,
First question: was there any column width information in the HTML tables from which
you converted that content?  If so, ensuring that the conversion included the column
widths would likely help.

The column widths stylesheet extension is not going to help you if your tables have no
column width information.  The extension just converts potentially complex CALS
colwidth values to simpler HTML values.  If there is no column width information to
work with, it will just give each column the same percentage width.  The extension has
no means of measuring the widths of typeset columns, because the columns have not yet
been typeset.

If your HTML tables did not have column width information, then the browser was
choosing how wide to make each column based on the column content.  A similar function
is available in XSL-FO in the table-layout="auto" property on the fo:table element.
That engages a formatting algorithm in the XSL-FO processor that reads the width of
the typeset content in the columns and adjusts the column widths for a better fit.  It
works best with short entries that don't have to wrap lines.

But I believe you said you were using FOP, and FOP does not currently support the
table-layout="auto" property.  You would need to use another FO processor.