Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] dbfo-need height in FOP 1.0

Hi Sam,
Actually, you prompted me to revisit this feature.  A block-container was used because
you can set a fixed height on it to take up the needed space, and a regular block does
not.  However, I thought I would try a table with a single row whose
block-progression-dimension is set to the height, and that does work in FOP 0.95 and
1.0.

However, the other part of the need template is managing the vertical space so that it
does not introduce extra space.  And FOP 1.0 does not support
space-after.precedence="force", so it cannot properly manage the space.  The visual
result is that a section heading that is bumped to the next page will express its
space-before value before the heading.  This leads to too much space at the top of the
page.

Normally a space-before property is suppressed on the first block on a page, so the
heading would appear at the top without its space-before.  But the dbfo-need blocks
interfere with that because they become the first block of text on the page.  What
should happen is that the last dbfo-need block sets space-after="0pt" and
space-after.precedence="force", whose effect is to override the heading block's
space-before value.  However, the space-after.precedence="force" does not yet work in
FOP, so you get the extra space.

So FOP is closer to supporting this feature, but not quite there yet.