Subject: RE: [docbook-apps] Help needed testing CJK search support in webhelp

Hi Róbert,
Partial matches may lead to too much noise in the search results, but I think supporting wildcards would be an excellent feature for just the situation you mention. In fact, I kind of wish I'd put it on the original list of requirements for the summer, but I didn't think of it back then :-)

If Kasun thinks it's easy to add, that would be great, but he still has some other bugs to chase down and some documentation to work on before the deadline this summer, so for now I've added it to the "Future enhancements (GSOC 2011?)" section in the document.

Thanks,
David

-----Original Message-----
From: Fekete Róbert [mailto:frobert@balabit.com]
Sent: Friday, August 13, 2010 2:01 AM
To: Kasun Gajasinghe
Cc: =?utf-8?q?Cramer@mail.balabit.hu; Cramer, David W (David); docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org

Hi David and Kasun,

Thank you very much for your response.

I admit that partial matches might not be needed for everyone. The reason I am asking about them is because I maintain extensive technical documentations (for example, http://www.balabit.com/dl/html/syslog-ng-ose-v3.1-guide-admin-en.html/bk01-toc.html) that are often loaded with parameter and option names that can be similar, or have similar endings, and it would be useful for my users to be able to search for them. We publish our docs in PDF and chunked HTML, and recently also as single-page HTML so that the internal search engine of the browser can scan the whole document, but still I get repeatedly asked for adding search to the chunked html version as well, because this version is much faster to open and navigate, and easier to send links to the relevant sections. Though now that I think of it, adding the TOC page from your work to the single-chunk version could make this easier - I'll give it a try sometime and get back to you.

Thanks again!

Robert