Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Re: html 5, as a target

On Sun, Aug 15, 2010 at 11:58 PM, Dave Pawson <davep@dpawson.co.uk> wrote:
>> Anyway those elements doesn't bring any new user experience.
> But they do bring better semantics?

I think the rejection of a DocBook-XSL patch adding a distinct HTML5
output (perhaps in the
http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/the-xhtml-syntax.html#the-xhtml-syntax)
would be *extremely* unlikely. That said, at this time I'm not aware
of anyone developing that patch.

> How long will [IE6] remain the oldest target?

This is a question of even greater weight today, as there is renewed
interest in cleaning up the HTML (and XHTML, XHTML 1.1, EPUB...)
outputs to be more aligned with modern web browsers and web
development techniques. Part of what makes the current HTML
stylesheets rather baroque is the extensive support for aging
browsers.

Keith