Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Re: html 5, as a target

Larry Garfield wrote:

>> then
>>
>> <nav> + some funky Javascript
>
> But <nav> without needing JS is better still.  So for those producers that
> choose to use it, their HTML5-supporting users will get a superior experience

Superior experience from <nav>? Could you elaborate please?

>>> So what's the downside of an HTML5-based output option (not required for
>>> all output, but an option alongside the various other targets) that
>>> people can use when their particular user base is HTML5-capable enough?
>>> Wouldn't the easy availability of such a target help push HTML5 forward
>>> by providing more HTML5- dependent content, creating a demand among
>>> users for better HTML5-supporting browsers?  That would mean people
>>> viewing DocBook output would, when they upgrade their browser, poof, get
>>> the new hotness because it's already there waiting for them?
>> Hmm, I still don't know what HTML5 functionality you would like to see
>> in DocBook generated content. If there will be no additional
>> functionality there is no reason for switching to HTML5.
>
> Better SEO through more semantic markup seems like a perfectly good bit of
> functionality to me.

ROTFL

More seriously, are you aware of any search engine which prioritize
pages using new HTML5 markup like <nav>, <article>, ...? No serious
search engine will do this based on their previous experience with
search markup abuse.

OpenPGP digital signature