Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Re: html 5, as a target

Keith Fahlgren wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 15, 2010 at 11:58 PM, Dave Pawson <davep@dpawson.co.uk> wrote:
>>> Anyway those elements doesn't bring any new user experience.
>> But they do bring better semantics?
>
> I think the rejection of a DocBook-XSL patch adding a distinct HTML5
> output (perhaps in the
> http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/the-xhtml-syntax.html#the-xhtml-syntax)
> would be *extremely* unlikely. That said, at this time I'm not aware
> of anyone developing that patch.

Indeed. Everyone is welcomed to provide patches. My opposition to HTML5
support just cames from fact that I don't see any real advantage of
producing HTML5 from DocBook, so I'm not tempted to spare my own cycles
on it.

>> How long will [IE6] remain the oldest target?
>
> This is a question of even greater weight today, as there is renewed
> interest in cleaning up the HTML (and XHTML, XHTML 1.1, EPUB...)
> outputs to be more aligned with modern web browsers and web
> development techniques. Part of what makes the current HTML
> stylesheets rather baroque is the extensive support for aging
> browsers.

Probably this should be done in XSLT 2.0 based stylesheets. Is there any
reason not to use XSLT 2.0 based stylesheets once they are as feature
rich as existing XSLT 1.0 based ones?

				Jirka

OpenPGP digital signature