Subject: Including <b> and <i> in XHTML stylesheets

On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 1:36 PM, Bob Stayton <bobs@sagehill.net> wrote:
> You are entitled to your opinion on <b> and <i> for XHTML, but they are
> valid elements in XHTML Strict 1.0.  We can't just turn them off from the
> xhtml stylesheet set unless some alternative is put in place, because it
> would break existing applications.  Go ahead and do it for xhtml-1_1 since
> that set is used for epub and must have them off, but we should not do it
> for xhtml without further discussion.

My understanding was that <strong> and <em> were the alternative, no?
As I've mentioned before, I believe that <b> and <i> are inappropriate
in both xhtml/ and xhtml-1_1/ for any markup of db.titles
(blockquote-title, for example). Transforming other instances into
strong and em seems appropriate, but will be tricky in the
html2xhtml.xsl.

"""
The following HTML elements specify font information. Although they
are not all deprecated, their use is discouraged in favor of style
sheets.
"""
http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/present/graphics.html#h-15.2

Are you aware of "existing applications" that will break other than
the highlighting module? Perhaps that should be a special case.

If you feel that the stylesheets should be changed, please do so for
1.76.1 and clarify the change for this bug reporter
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=2873153&group_id=21935&atid=373747

Keith