Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Docbook for industrial usage

Sabine Cretella wrote:
> Hi, yesterday I talked with Camille on IRC about getting docbook used more
> in industry. I am searching for companies that already use it and that could
> give a good example about what they do with docbook and why they use it. And
> I also got one first contact I am going to write to.

There are many companies using DocBook ranging from large corporations
like HP, Sun, going through large open-source project (e.g. PHP uses
DocBook for documentation) and finishing and smaller companies and
individual projects.

> One side I never did myself, but would like to try out on my own is to
> convert a docbook file to pdf - all I found on the web seems to be rather
> old and from before docbook 5 - is there any new documentation on this? You
> know one thing is having just read it's possible and another is having it
> done at least once. (I am on OpenSuse btw.)

Processing tools are somewhat agnostic to DocBook version. DocBook XSL
stylesheets produce quite raw PDF by default, but it is very easy to
customize them. E.g. the following PDF was produced with customized
stylesheets and XEP to match publisher guildelines:

http://www.kosek.cz/knihy/phpxml/php5xml-ukazka.pdf

Actually OpenSuse internally also uses DocBook for documentation, but I
think that they use TeX for doing final typesetting of PDF version.

				Jirka

OpenPGP digital signature