Subject: RE: [docbook-apps] Need recommendations for the best modern Linux backend tools for DocBook

Is the documentation that you want output as manpages written using
<refentry>? Then it will be amenable to processing by manpages/docbook.xsl.
But if you're happy with the Perl script, then it seems fine to just
continue using it IMHO.

|  From the above list of backend tools, openjade is used to help
|  generate html, dvi, PostScript, and PDF documentation results. I have
|  recently noticed that openjade (for our particular command-line
|  arguments at least) chokes on UTF-8 in the DocBook source. Before
|  investigating that issue further, I want to be sure that openjade
|  (whose last release was in 2003) is the definitive choice for all the
|  use cases above so I hope especially that somebody will comment on that.

There's nothing wrong with DSSSL, but it is not a popular technology these
days. OpenJade is no longer maintained. The same holds for the DocBook DSSSL
stylesheets.

I think you should look into XSL. And you already know about
http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/index.html, judging by the link on
http://plplot.sourceforge.net/documentation.php, so there is no need for me
to expand on the subject :-).

But then again, if your current documentation process works, then you might
want to avoid "fixing something that isn't broken" after all.

Mauritz