Subject: Generating title for "link" element

When transforming XML to epub with Docbook 1.76 stylesheets, I need to generate a title for internal links using the "link" element; for instance, when linking from a citation in the text to its full reference in a reference list. The standard stylesheets will generate "a href" in the resulting XHTML1-1 files, but I need to also generate a title that is the same as the text within the "link" element. I cannot specify a title as an xlink:title attribute of "link" because it makes the XML invalid. So I need to develop the XSL code that generates a title from the contents of "link" elements. Can someone suggest a snippet of code please?

Dave Gardiner