Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] fop-hyph.jar and fop-pdf-images-1.0.jar + PDFBox-0.7.4-dev.jar

Regarding the hyphenation-character property in XSL-FO:

>   <xsl:attribute name="hyphenation-character">\</xsl:attribute>

>  but "\" does not create a break.

That attribute value does not indicate a character that permits a line break.  That is
the character that is presented at the end of a line after the XSL-FO formatter breaks
the line.  Typically that is a hyphen "-", but in a programlisting some people use "\"
or a return arrow character to indicate that the current line logically continues on
the next line.

If you want long programlisting lines to break on certain characters in the content,
then the stylesheet feature you are looking for is controlled by the
'hyphenate.verbatim' and 'hyphenate.verbatim.characters' parameters:

http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/doc/fo/hyphenate.verbatim.html
http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/doc/fo/hyphenate.verbatim.characters.html

However, I'm not sure FOP supports this feature yet.  It didn't in version 0.95, but
it might in 1.0.  Has anyone tried it with 1.0?