Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Docbook xml title containing double quotation marks causes CHM TOC issue

Hi Chris,

Thank you for sharing your ideas. I have very limited knowledge to entities
and encoding, so I did some researches and tried to understand what you
said, please correct me if my understanding is incorrect.

I tested and found that all the following writing styles produce the same
result in the hhc file and the html file.
I may assume that they are replacements for one another and all working in a
portable and standard manner. Difference is “ pair is decimal numeric
character references, and “ pair is hexadecimal. And since XML allows
both decimal and hexadecimal numeric character references, so I would assume
there is no difference between them that I need to pay special attention to.
Or is there one preferable over the other?

And “ and ” are HTML character entity references, as I copied them
from a list named THML escape chracters. At first, I just wanted to give it
a try, but it turned out to work. However, I still don't understand why they
happened to work in an xml file, what their actual meanings are in the xml
numeric reference, and how Windows CP-1252 encoding interferes with the
result. I will do more reseraches later. But if anybody could shed me some
lights on this, I will certainly appreciate it.

XML file:
  <sect1>
  </sect1>

  <sect1>
    <title>Loading &#8220;heavy&#8221; window2</title>
  </sect1>

  <sect1>
    <title>Loading &#x201c;heavy&#x201d; window3</title>
  </sect1>

HHC file:
<param name="Name" value="Loading &#8220;heavy&#8221; window1">

<param name="Name" value="Loading &#8220;heavy&#8221; window2">

<param name="Name" value="Loading &#8220;heavy&#8221; window3">

Regards
Tracy