Subject: epub for mobipocket: image dimensions?

Hi, there. I'm trying to produce an epub which can be submitted to
Amazon's ebook store (and renders as mobipocket). I've been going
through Joshua Tallent's book about Kindle formatting and reading
through all the kludges needed to get images to render properly.

Specifically for smaller images in Kindle/Mobipocket, they recommend
specifying image dimensions in attributes for the IMG tag (i.e.,
height="", width="") in order to prevent the images from blowing up.
Yikes!

If you wanted to output an image HTML element that contains these
attributes, what do they think would be the easiest way to get these
attributes? I don't mind hardcoding the dimensions if necessary; in
fact,  that sounds easier than using the graphic size extension. Even
if I could get it to work in Saxon, that would not help me to render
them in db2epub.py (which uses lxml to render the XSLT).

Anyway, it would be much easier to hardcode the dimensions. Any ideas
about how this might be done?

Thanks.

--
Robert Nagle