Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] images scaling problem for print output

what do you mean by the actual size in the printed output? ;-)

-> Currently, all my images are streched to the available page width.
But I want my images to look in the pdf exactly as they have looked before on the screen... not scaled to 120% or 80% but 100%(not scaled).

I also tried to use really high dpi-values to make sure that this is not the problem.
-> High dpi-values do not change anything.

My guess is that it has nothing to do with the resolution of the images but with the settings of docbook.

Can you follow me?

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 5:36 PM, honyk <j.tosovsky@email.cz> wrote:

Hello Sebastian,

> I am trying to use the images unscaled to use them in their actual size for print output.

what do you mean by the actual size in the printed output? ;-)

The final size is dependent on the image resolution. PNG images can store this info (in case of screenshots it varies according to the display settings) and this info can be used later by xsl-fo processor. If this info is not available, XEP uses 120 dpi instead for example. If the image resolution is lower, it seems to be bigger in the output. As mentioned, the screenshot resolution can vary if images are taken by different users so the final image size can be different in the output, althought a pixel size is the same. In my case these differences are normalized by imagemagick utility before processing, where all resolution info is replaced by a single value (120 dpi) – keeping the original pixel size.

Regards,

Jan

Hello all,

I am trying to use the images unscaled to use them in their actual size for print output. But so far all my approaches failed. All images always use the available space on the page, which decreases quality massively whenever images are smaller than the available space. My image objects look like that:

<mediaobject>
    <imageobject>
            <imagedata fileref="images/logo.png"/>
    </imageobject>
</mediaobject>

I went through everything related to graphics and customization in the Docbook XSL Guide and the docbook-apps. Nothing seems to help. All attributes used for image sizing (scalefit, width, contentdepth, …) in my custom-fo file are either ignored by xsltproc or do not even show up in the console. Other customizations work, though.

Is it really that complicated leave pictures unscaled? Do I have to work with templates for such an "easy" task? Could somebody give me an example of what I have to write into the custom-fo file to leave my images unscaled? Any help would be highly appreciated!

Thanks,
Sebastian