Subject: RE: [docbook] How do I tell keycap+ from keycap keypad+

[Moving this to the more appropriate docbook-apps mailing list. The DocBook list is for discussion of the standard itself.]

There must be a dozen ways to do what you want. Here is one that works for HTML output generated with the DocBook XSL stylesheets, and using a CSS file. This does not work for PDF output, which lacks CSS styling.

1. When you mean any plus key, tag it as usual: <keycap>+</keycap>

2. When you mean the plus key on the numeric keypad, wrap the <keypad> in an <emphasis> element with the role attribute set to an arbitrary string (but not "keycap"). Here, I use "numpad":

      <emphasis role="numpad">

        <keycap>+</keycap>

      </emphasis>

3. Set the stylesheet parameter emphasis.propagates.style=1 as described in this page of the Stayton book.

4. In your CSS file, provide a style for span.numpad. For example:

   span.numpad {

      background-color: #bfbfbf;

   }

An example of the results is here: http://s299684157.onlinehome.us/

Perhaps someone else can suggest a more general solution that works for other output formats.