Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Auto-generating an index

Hi,

>On Fri, 4 Feb 2011 11:11:57 +0100 (CET)
> [...]
>> This was just a quick overview of the process. If needed, I can show
>> you also my stylesheet modifications.
>

>Point taken for a classic docbook book.
>Take a simpler novel or even a tech book with lesser markup and
>the problems are back.

Of course, a really good index takes time and effort. That is
out of question. My suggestions is a 80% solution -- the rest has to
be taken by a writer. :) But for the really tedious, time consuming,
and boring indexing tasks it might be a solution.

About novels? Do they really have indices? From my experiences the
more the technical inclined books needs one and not novels.

I don't understand why a book with "lesser markup" should be a
problem. Do you have control about these files? If yes, then you
can add additional markup at your will. If not, you'll have other problems. ;)

>I guess you invested in higher markup levels, trading off the indexing
>task.
><grin/> Still sounds like a job for a person... at one end or the other?

Well, I don't say it works for every book.

Tom