Subject: Which link?

db5, xsl-fo output. Renderx xep formatter

I want an internal link to an element with an id, but no content.

target is
<footnote xml:id='x'><para> .....

I'm collating footnotes and want to link back to the footnote.

<db:link  xlink:href="{@xml:id}"><xsl:value-of
select="$fnnumber"/></db:link>

is failing miserably, no such document.
I can't use <xref linkend="{@xml:id}"

since there is no suitable endterm content.

Suggestions please, for an appropriate link
or for a template to modify?

fo/xref.xsl
<xsl:template match="d:xref" name="xref">
seems overkill and will mess me about elsewhere?

TIA

--

regards

--