Subject: Re: AW: [docbook-apps] PDF customization questions from newbie

Hi,

I'm the dblatex maintainer, so I'm a bit biased, but if you know latex you
will be free to customize the latex layout as you wish.

I think most of the elements are supported, except the HTML tables. The
limitations are those imposed by latex: the latex table limitations, the
footnotes limitations especially in tables (even if workarounded in
dblatex), the legacy UTF8 support limitations when pdftex is used, the
one-page only floats, the float positioning (often frustating for non-tex
users), some hyphenation weirdness, and so on.

But on the other side dblatex deals with all the tex stuff: graphic
conversions, makeindex use, the ability to use xetex as backend. It even
supports some advanced features (full callout support on graphics and on
listings, olinking between a set of documents) that I'm not sure fop-based
solutions support without some extensions.

In a word, if you know and like latex you'll be in a friendly world.

Regards,
BG