Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Does dockbook.xsl covers the whole?

Hi Bob,
     I went through the link http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/doc/html/make.clean.html.html  and the idea I got is as below.
                 If you feel that I've got something wrong or if there is anything to be added please let me know.Thank you very much.

Sanjaya Liyanage

On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 2:31 PM, Sanjaya Liyanage <sanjayacl@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Bob,

       Thank you very much for your reply.It gives me more ideas which will definitely help me when styling the generated HTML.

The HTML output has always done this through extensive use of structured HTML output (nested divs) and class attributes.  Those should enable CSS style selectors to differentiate HTML elements sufficiently for styling.  If you examine the HTML output you will see all the divs and class attributes.
          I examined some of the HTML outputs and saw divs with class attributes.

If you need custom class names, that can now be done using customized templates in mode="class.value", available since version 1.72 and described here:

http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/HtmlCustomEx.html#CustomClassValues

    I am willing to use the mode class.value and also the mode class.attribute where necessary.As I got the idea both these modes can be used to differentiate the elements in the generated HTML by applying class names and attributes as we wish.

In the past there were complaints that full CSS control was difficult because the HTML output included hardcoded styles that were difficult to override. The most recent release of DocBook XSL (1.76.1) cleans up its act a bit for CSS support.  The 'make.clean.html' parameter when set to 1 will generate HTML with very little CSS styling embedded in it, as well as turning off most instances of hardcoded <b> and <i> (although I'm not sure this is complete).  The stylesheet can also generate a CSS file as part of the chunking output.  See the param reference:

http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/doc/html/make.clean.html.html

   Now I'm trying to understand what is exactly done by make.clean.html parameter as it's quite confusing to me.I will give a try to understand it myself and ask when I'm unable to get the correct idea.

These changes should make it easier to implement CSS for DocBook's HTML output. Further suggestions for better CSS support are always welcome.
 Yes these ideas will make the things easier to come up with a perfect output.I will let you know once I have new suggestions.

   Thank you once again.
Sanjaya Liyanage

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dave Pawson" <davep@dpawson.co.uk>