Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] GSoC 2011 project idea: DocBook Slides 5.0

Gabor, Jan,

that is an interesting discussion !

I think it's important that the slides vocabulary is a super-set of the
existing DocBook, to allow users to incorporate existing document chunks
into their slides.

However, I also recognize that this medium has particular requirements
that run somewhat against the main philosophy of DB: a clear separation
between content and style. Arguably, for presentations, style *is* content.

Thus, I think one area where an updated slides vocabulary may grow some
new elements is support for styling. In the simplest case that could
mean additional hooks that styling info may be attached to (via CSS,
javascript, or whatever else is used to apply styles to the final slides).

A couple of years ago I wrote stylesheets that would target S5
(http://meyerweb.com/eric/tools/s5/). To be able to take advantage of
the features that provides (for example, slide transitions, animations,
etc.), I had to add some custom markup.

Following last year's work on a new "API documentation profile", I
believe the best way forward is to turn the existing slides extension
into a proper DB5 extension profile, where such additions can more
easily be supported.

Thus, a good starting point would be to collect ideas about what
limitations DB slides users perceive and what additional markup might be
needed to support them.

     Stefan