Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] passing attributes from an ARTICLE element to an HTML element

Hi Robert,
To insert an id attribute in the <html> element, you'll need to customize the template
named 'chunk-element-content' in xhtml/chunk-common.xsl.  That is where the <html>
element is generated.  You could add a template call after the opening <html> to
insert any attributes.  Since that template is used for all chunks, I would suggest
using a mode to just change article:

[in customized chunk-element-content]
  <xsl:apply-templates select="." mode="html.root.attributes"/>

where mode="html.root.attributes" is new for your purposes.  You would create a
general template that does nothing, and a special one for article:

<!-- for all other elements do nothing -->
<xsl:template match="*" mode="html.root.attributes"/>

<!-- for article, add two attributes -->
<xsl:template match="d:article" mode="html.root.attributes">
  <xsl:attribute name="id">
    <xsl:call-template name="object.id"/>
  </xsl:attribute>
  <xsl:attribute name="lang">
    <xsl:call-template name="l10n.language"/>
  </xsl:attribute>
</xsl:template>

To avoid the duplicate id on the div, you need to customize the template that matches
on d:article in xhtml/component.xsl.  After the opening <div> tag, it calls a template
named 'common.html.attributes', and then generates the id attribute.  Delete the id
part and that should do it.

When you customize the d:article template, be aware that you must follow the
guidelines for customizing chunked output, and put it in a separate customization
layer that imports docbook.xsl.  That's because the template in component.xsl is not a
chunking template, it is a template for element formatting.  If you don't separate
them, you probably won't get output for your article.  See this reference for details:

http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/ChunkingCustomization.html