Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Search behavior in webhelp output

On 03/17/2011 02:51 PM, Peter Desjardins wrote:
> Hi. I am fielding some questions about the search behavior in the
> webhelp output. Is there an explanation of the behavior available
> somewhere?
>
> Specifically, I need to understand:
>
> * How substrings are handled. Why does "locale" match "localeString"
> but "crea" doesn't match "create"?
>
> * Is there a way to search for strings that contain special characters
> like periods. Can I search for "foo.bar" by escaping the period? Can I
> remove the period from the list of special characters?
>
> Thanks for your help. I have turned off stemming in case that matters.
>
> Peter Desjardins

Hi Peter,
Good point. That had occurred to me before, but then I forgot to put it
in the feature list, so I've just added the following to the feature
list[1]:

"Cause indexer not to tokenize punctuation if the punctuation isn't
followed by a space. So don't tokenize "build.xml" into "build" and
"xml". Instead just enter it as "build.xml". Evaluation how to handle
things that look like paths "foo/bar/baz.xml" Should we tokenize into
foo, bar, and baz.xml or not or put both in the index? "

So we should tokenize "build. xml" but not "build.xml". Unfortunately, I
can't suggest any workaround at the moment.

Thanks,
David

[1] http://docbook.xmlpress.net/tiki-index.php?page=WebHelp2011