Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Break long programlisting lines without spaces?

On 04/14/2011 02:51 PM, Jirka Kosek wrote:
> David Cramer wrote:
>
>> I was thinking here at a higher level. As a stylesheet developer, I need
>> some way to solve the problem of specifying that in verbatim
>> environments, the lines be automatically broken (at a configurable set
>> of characters) when they exceed the available space and a special
>> character be added to indicate to the user that the line was broken for
>> typographical reasons. The hyphenation approach does indeed feel like a
>> hack. I think it would be better if I just told the fo renderer what I
>> want (break-long-lines="yes" break-at="/*();. "
>> break-character="⇦") and have it decide how to deal with the problem.
>
> Something very similar is part of XSL-FO 2.0 requirements (see
> http://www.w3.org/TR/xslfo20-req/#N66916). But it will be long way
> before it got implemented.

That would be the following:

"5.7.4 Line breaks without hyphen character

Allow the specification of a set of characters after which the
composition process may introduce a line break without inserting a
hyphen character. For example for '/' characters in URLs. "

I don't see how that (as written) would help in the programlisting case.
What I  want is the ability to specify a character that indicates the
line was broken for typographical reasons and I want that character to
appear at the end of the line so that all these characters are aligned,
just like in a professionally published book.

For all use cases, you would want the ability to tell the renderer to
stop processing if this happens. That way if Dick is preparing a
manuscript for print publishing and wants to break all the lines
manually, he can be sure he hasn't missed any.

Regards,
David