Subject: customizing section titles

Hello,

I'd like to customize the section title formatting for HTML and PDF. I
think I have found a good solution for HTML, where I customize the
'section.heading' template to generate the desired content. However,
trying to do the same with the FO stylesheets doesn't work:

I use a "titleabbrev" element for formal section names, and would like
the title line to look like this:

1.2.3 The section title            [section.name]

(with the [...] content coming from the titleabbrev). However, while the
HTML stylesheet passes the $section variable down to the
'section.heading' template, the FO stylesheet does not, so I can't
access the 'titleabbrev' content there (or any other context info, for
that matter.)

Any ideas how I could approach this ? Or is there an entirely different
approach ? (I figure there must be other authors who have written formal
specifications in DocBook where such section headings are common.)

Thanks,
         Stefan