Subject: [docbook-apps] DocBook XML as an Output

Hi,

We maintain our doc alongside our code. When building a project our build
system also generates the doc output. Three things impact on the time it
takes to generate the docs:

1. The number of guides
2. The number of output formats
3. The number of different profiled versions of each guide

It means doc generation can take up as much as 15/20mins within an overall
build time of around 45mins.

I want to reduce the amount of time it takes to build our docs by only
generating a "DocBook XML" output format for each guide instead of the PDF
and Webhelp outputs. The resulting single DocBook XML file will contain all
xincluded chapters etc. It will also contain the product version number
taken from the build system. A sub-directory of all images used in the guide
will exist alongside the file.

This will become the main doc release artifact. Later, outside of the core
build process, I'd like to run this file through a standard DocBook
toolchain to produce PDF and Webhelp outputs as required and where build
times are not a concern.

To do this I've tried using the profiling/profile.xsl stylesheet (without
any profile values) to generate the DocBook XML output. However, I've the
following issues:

1. The DocBook XML output from the profile.xsl stylesheet doesn't contain
any XML or DOCTYPE declarations. This means the DocBook XSL processor can't
resolve any entities during the second pass.

2. The profile.xsl stylesheet doesn't resolve processing instructions (e.g.
<?dbtimestamp format="Y"?>) within the DocBook XML source.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of approach? Or is there
simpler alternative to what I'm trying to do?

Rgds, Dermot