Subject: Re: AW: [docbook-apps] ragged index with recent fop snapshots

On Mon, 18 Jul 2011 16:46:19 +0200, maxwell <maxwell@umiacs.umd.edu> wrote:

> Markus Hoenicka wrote:
>> At first sight, I didn't find any information about SVG
>> graphics though. Are they known to work?
>
> I don't know.  I expect if there's a problem, it would be with LaTeX (or
> XeLaTeX), not with dblatex.  As of a few years ago, svg and Xe(La)TeX
> were
> not compatible:
>    http://tug.org/pipermail/xetex/2008-June/010185.html
> Doesn't look like the situation's much better in vanilla LaTeX; the
> consensus seems to be that you need to convert a SVG graphic to PDF
> before
> including it in the LaTeX source.  The same work-around would work in
> XeLaTeX, too.

Hi,

Thanks Mike and Robert for mentionning dblatex. Dblatex can detect the
figure format (by checking the filename suffix),  automatically convert
SVG to PDF, and then compile the tex file. For SVG figures, it calls
inkscape.

Therefore, provided that inkscape(*) is installed there is no need to
convert manually the figures.

Regards,
BG

(*) if another converter is required, it is not a big deal to add its call
in dblatex.