Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] add newline to generated text?

Hi Jason,
No, there is nothing you can put in the text attribute value that will generate a new line that shows up in your displayed output.  Inserting a
 will insert a new line in the output file, but in neither HTML nor XSL-FO is such a line break character formatted as a line break.  Instead, it is treated as just a bit of white space to be collapsed into a single space when lines are laid out in the display.

If you want to do this for XSL-FO  output, my book has a section that describes a stylesheet customization to get the label (DocBook's term for the chapter number part) on a separate line from the title.  You can view it online for free at:

http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/TitleFontSizes.html#ChapterTitles

From: Jason Zech
Sent: Friday, September 23, 2011 12:50 PM
Subject: [docbook-apps] add newline to generated text?

Hi all,

I am trying to customize the chapter title output. I?m going from DB5 to single-file HTML (and later to epub) using the ns version of 1.76.

I?ve got a customization working on the generated text of the chapter title, but I?d like to generate a newline between the chapter number and the chapter title.

Here is the customization I have.

  <xsl:param name="local.l10n.xml" select="document('')"/>

<l:i18n xmlns:l="http://docbook.sourceforge.net/xmlns/l10n/1.0">

<l:l10n language="en">

<l:context name="title-numbered">

<l:template name="chapter" text="%n %t"/>

</l:context>

</l:l10n>

</l:i18n>

I need something between %n and %t but I?m beginning to think I can?t use any of kind of newline here. Is it possible?

Thanks in advance.

Jz

Jason Zech | Project Manager, Digital Workflow | New Product Development
[ph] 773-281-1818 x212   [fax] 773-281-4129 | zech@loyolapress.com

LoyolaPress. | A Jesuit Ministry
3441 N. Ashland Ave. | Chicago, IL 60657 | www.loyolapress.com
Join our online community of advisors: www.SpiritedTalk.org