Subject: Removing blank space in chapter TOC

I am generating chapter tocs with a two-column layout, and the toc generates with a space before the toc title (attached screenshot). I have tried to modify both <xsl:template match= "d:preface|d:chapter|d:appendix|d:article"
    mode="toc" > and <xsl:template name="division.toc"> by applying margin-top to the relevant blocks (e.g. <fo:block id = "toc.{$cid}.{$id}"> ), and even trying to use fo:inline instead of fo:block (based on the assumption that fo:block generates a one-line space). I thought the fo:block that contains the toc is somehow adding something like a ‘space-before’ property (or to that effect) before the first content (which is the title). I’ve experimented by applying negative margin-top and padding-top attributes to no avail. I’d like some guidance please on what I need to modify.

Thanks,
Dave Gardiner