Subject: Re: [docbook] Re: unable to convert DocBook to PDF

Hi Chris,

On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 11:23 PM, Christopher R. Maden <crism@maden.org> wrote:
> [Note: The docbook mailing list is for discussion and development of the
> DocBook spec itself.  The docbook-apps mailing list is for discussion of
> usage of DocBook and related tools.  Please follow up to docbook-apps.]
>
> On 10/21/2011 10:46 PM, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
>> openjade:<path>/book.xml:8:78:E: element "xi:include" undefined
>> openjade:<path>/book.xml:9:74:E: element "xi:include" undefined
>>
>> I'm on Ubuntu 10.04 (x64). The DocBook package is installed.
>>
>> $ docbook2pdf --version
>> DocBook-utils version 0.6.14 (jw version 1.1)
>> $ openjade --version
>
> XInclude is a layer between XML and DocBook.
>
> You need to either use a parser that supports XInclude, or to use some
> tool to pre-process the files into a single document without XInclude.
OK. You've already lost me (my apologies).

> If you are using OpenJade, an SGML-based toolchain, you will have to do
> the pre-process; OpenJade has no XInclude support.  You could use an
> XInclude stylesheet with xmllint[1] (which is most likely installed in
> your Ubuntu distribution), or, if really wedded to OpenJade, implement
> XInclude support in DSSSL... (-:
>
> Or, you could switch to a more modern, XML-based toolchain using one of
> the Open Source XSL formatters such as FOP.
OK. I think the prudent thing to do is file a bug report (and accept
the flames) against OpenJade or docbook2pdf.

As a dumb user, I just want things to work on a simple example file.
My thinking is that word processors 'just work', and this is not much
different (though I'm not total sure what 'this' is). I think its XML
based publishing.

Its OK if folks want to abstract and layer things. Unfortunately, the
design and implementation cleverness does not work out of the box in
this instance. I don't think I asking for too much here - C/C++
beginners expect their "Hello World" programs to work out of the box
too (if they have their tools installed correctly).

Jeff