Subject: sidebar margin-top, margin-before

I have a set of formatting requirements, and part of that requirement is that the side bar float to the outer edge of the paper (double sided print).

The issue is, there is a box that protrudes from the header in the top corner of the outer edge, so when the sidebar is the first thing on the page, part of it runs under that box.

A way to solve this is the add a space before the sidebar that ensures it will start below that box.  Problem with that is that there can be a large space when the sidebar is NOT the first on the page.

Is there a way to define a margin what will only appear when the item is FIRST on a page (I know you can do it the other way around and then set "retain" to keep it at the top).

If not, is there a way to set up a conditional margin depending on recto/verso placement?  (use 12pt marin on verso, 18pt on recto)?

From my experience the answer to the above is NO, but I thought someone might know of a way.

FYI, I am using Antenna House.

Thanks in advance.