Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Easiest way to convert Word .doc or .rtf to DocBook?

I have been using a set of XSLT stylesheets to convert the XML source
of Word documents directly to DocBook. It took me a while to write the
XSLT and it's customized for the template my company uses. However,
now that it's written, converting a large number of Word documents to
clean, valid DocBook is very simple. Our authors continue to work in
Word and a nightly build process converts the files to DocBook XML and
then does the DocBook XSL processing.

One caveat is that our Word documents were well structured by the
authors and used a well-designed template of paragraph and character
styles. Without that, the XSLT might not be so successful.

You might consider investing in some custom XSLT work. That way you
can carefully control the resulting DocBook XML to suit the workflow
that you'll be moving to.

Peter Desjardins