Subject: webhelp.xsl customizations

Thanks again to everyone who pointed out WebHelp to me earlier this week, and provided great hints for adjusting it to our needs!

I've had a look at webhelp.xsl from the DocBook 1.76.1 XSL style sheets. In parts, this is a "regular" style sheet, in the sense that you can override default values easily. For example, if I wanted to change the file name of the start page, I'd look at this line ...

<xsl:param name="webhelp.start.filename">index.html</xsl:param>

... and override this with e.g. in a Makefile with:

--stringparam webhelp.start.filename "toc.htm"

There's one template, though, that consists of more than 120 lines, and is thus not easily configurable:

<xsl:template name="user.head.content">

Granted, it's a template, rather than a parameter, so there's nothing like a one-line change, done in a Makefile. :-) Anyway, here's what I thought I should do -- add a customization layer with this:

<xsl:template name="user.head.content">
  <!-- Copy 120+ lines from webhelp.xsl,
       and adjust to our needs -->
</xsl:template>

First question: Is this the right approach? Overriding 120+ lines of a DocBook style sheet almost feels like modifying the style sheet itself, which I'd never do because I guess that's considered heresy.

Last question: The user.head.content template has lots of things hard-coded that I believe should be parametrized. Here's an extreme example where both a specific jQuery theme and even the version number are hard-coded:

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="../common/jquery/theme-redmond/jquery-ui-1.8.2.custom.css"/>

Is there any way to parametrize *that* (i.e. within a template)?

If so, that should probably be done in webhelp.xsl, rather than in the customization layer, so that not only our group would benefit. Assuming parametrization could be done, what would be the proper way to contribute such a patch? (OK, that's one more question, but it's related to the previous one. :-))

Thanks in advance for any pointers!

--
Cheers,

Stefan Hinz <stefan.hinz@oracle.com>, MySQL Documentation Manager

Phone: +49-30-82702940, Fax: +49-30-82702941, http://dev.mysql.com/doc

ORACLE Deutschland B.V.&  Co. KG
Registered Office: Riesstr. 25, 80992 Muenchen, Germany
Commercial Register: Local Court Of Munich, HRA 95603
Managing Director: Jürgen Kunz

General Partner: ORACLE Deutschland Verwaltung B.V.
Register Of Chamber Of Commerce: Midden-Niederlande, No. 30143697
Managing Directors: Alexander van der Ven, Astrid Kepper, Val Maher