Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Word to DocBook conversion and applying XSLT

I would try invoking the stylesheets from the command line. This will
give you a better understanding of what's going on.

If you have the Saxon XSLT processor and the DocBook XSLT stylesheets,
you could create a little .bat file with the following commands.
You'll have to alter the paths to suit your own computer. Here's a
good explanation:
http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/InstallingAProcessor.html.

*** put this in convert.bat ***
java -jar C:\publishing-tools\saxon6-5-5\saxon.jar -o my-docbook.norm
hello-world.xml
C:\publishing-tools\docbook-xsl-ns-1.76.1\roundtrip\wordml2normalise.xsl
java -jar C:\publishing-tools\saxon6-5-5\saxon.jar -o my-docbook.sects
my-docbook.norm
C:\publishing-tools\docbook-xsl-ns-1.76.1\roundtrip\normalise2sections.xsl
java -jar C:\publishing-tools\saxon6-5-5\saxon.jar -o my-docbook.blks
my-docbook.sects
C:\publishing-tools\docbook-xsl-ns-1.76.1\roundtrip\sections2blocks.xsl
java -jar C:\publishing-tools\saxon6-5-5\saxon.jar -o my-docbook.xml
my-docbook.blks
C:\publishing-tools\docbook-xsl-ns-1.76.1\roundtrip\blocks2dbk.xsl
pause
*********************************

If you have a hello-world.xml file (Word file saved as XML) in the
directory with this .bat file, you should end up with the DocBook XML
that the roundtrip stylesheets produces.

I think the best way to learn about XSLT is to experiment with it.
It's complex though. I spent a long time making adjustments to the
DocBook XSLT and then I decided to write some of my own. I use this
reference quite a bit: http://www.zvon.org/comp/r/ref-XSLT_2.html#.

I see that the roundtrip output does not specify a version. It might
turn out to be valid 5.0 though. I suspect that the roundtrip output
stylesheet could be  customized without too much trouble and
explain.com.au seems to be offering support for it.

I decided that I needed very fine control over the DocBook XML that I
produce from MS Word files. So I wrote a set of XSLT 2.0 stylesheets
that take the Microsoft XML file and carefully convert it to DocBook
5.0. The stylesheets are complicated but they work very reliably. We
convert our source Word files into DocBook nightly so that writers can
use Word while the publishing system uses DocBook.

Let me know if you'd like more information about stylesheets that
convert from Word to DocBook. It's not a trivial task to make one
though, a lot of development goes into it.

Good luck.

Peter