Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Unicode characters in epub

On Tue, January 31, 2012 10:39 pm, Boris Schäling wrote:
> 1. My book is about C++. Unfortunately "C++" is not a word - so e-readers
> seem to break "C++" wherever they like. A line could end with "C+" or "C",
> and the plus sign(s) is on the next line. I turned "C++" into
> "C++" (which is already crazy as I don't know how often I
> refer to C++ in my book). However this had some unfortunate side effects:
> If
>  is used in the book title or titles which appear in the table of
> contents, the Sony Reader displays rectangles (not in the body text
> though).

 has a dual role as Zero Width No-Break Space and as the BOM.

Unicode 3.2 added &#x2060, WORD JOINER, that is just a word joiner. [1]

The Unicode Standard says that you are supposed to use ⁠ in new
text, and that applications are supposed to support word joining with
either ⁠ or .

Maybe, just maybe, your EPUB readers will do better with ⁠ than
they do with .

Regards,

Tony Graham                                   tgraham@mentea.net
Consultant                                 http://www.mentea.net
Mentea       13 Kelly's Bay Beach, Skerries, Co. Dublin, Ireland
    XML, XSL-FO and XSLT consulting, training and programming

[1] Page 5 (or 524) of http://www.unicode.org/versions/Unicode6.0.0/ch16.pdf