Subject: RE: [docbook-apps] Content Management solutions that support DocBook 5.x?

There are three main reasons I'm interested in adopting a CM solution:

1. Our small technical publications department has started to translate 20+ manuals, 3 Eclipse help systems, and several HTML documents into non-English languages (such as French) and I'm finding it difficult to manage all the content for handoffs. This year the number of languages we'll be translating will potentially triple, so I would like to be able to generate reports on where the linked content, entities files, graphics files, and graphics source files reside for each document, and also keep track of files that have been handed off to the translation agencies. (Right now it's a bit of a mess.)

2. Ideally, a CM solution would keep all of the components of the DocBook toolchain (Saxon, FOP, etc.) updated, and I could simply maintain the custom stylesheets we use. Unfortunately, I don't have time to continously update the toolchain components.

3. Our company is growing, so we'll be hiring additional writers this year. Although our DocBook implementation works fine for me, it's unwieldly and difficult to train new writers. Ideally, a CM solution integrates with a user friendly, WYSIWYG authoring tool (rather than the Eclipse editor that I use). The authoring tool doesn't need to be part of the CM solution, and it could be third party tool such as the Oxygen editor.

We already use Perforce to control DocBook XML source, so I don't need a CM solution for checkin/checkout. If the CM solution provided a central database repository for source control, I'd consider switching to that instead if the other CM benefits are compelling.

Regards,
Jeff Powanda
Vocera Communications, Inc.

From: Bob Stayton [mailto:bobs@sagehill.net]
Sent: 2012-02-03 06:58
To: Jeff Powanda; docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org

Hi Jeff,
There is a pretty wide range of content management systems out there.  All of them would support checking in DocBook files, since those are just text files.  It would help if you could post some more detailed requirements.  What are you looking for the system to do?  How will it be used, and by how many people, etc.

Sent: Friday, February 03, 2012 1:29 PM

I'm looking for a content management solution that supports DocBook. I would consider both commercial and open source solutions. I would appreciate any recommendations, warnings, or tips that anyone has to offer.

I'm also considering upgrading from DocBook 4.5 to DocBook 5.x, so would be interested to hear of CM solutions that support DocBook 5.x.

Regards,
Jeff Powanda
Vocera Communications, Inc.