Subject: Google Summer of Code 2012

Google Summer of Code is beginning to ramp up again for 2012.

I just updated the DocBook GSoC wiki (http://docbook.xmlpress.net) for 2012, and it is now open for ideas, mentor sign-ups, and other input.

Stefan Seefeld has volunteered to be co-administrator again (thanks Stefan), and XML Press is glad to be administrative contact.

If you're interested in participating, check out the wiki, add some ideas, and sign up as a mentor.

Right now, the ideas page and the application page are copied from 2011, so feel free to update/remove information as appropriate. As soon as I get a few minutes, I'll update the application page with any changes for 2012.

Our ability to make a credible application that gets accepted by GSoC depends almost entirely on the level of interest and participation from the community, so if you're interested, speak up.

The requirements on mentors are not that large, and it's a great chance to work with smart, dedicated students. Some of the students from 2010 have become active members of the DocBook community, so we know the program helps grow our base.

The application period opens up on Feb 27 and extends to March 9. You can see more of the schedule, and pointers to Google's pages about the program, at http://docbook.xmlpress.net.

Best Regards,
Dick Hamilton
-------