Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Extend supported output formats

Hi Lars Vogel :

Thank you very much !.
It's nice to meet you in DocBook.
I got to know about basics of Android from a tutorial of you.
Great work, keep it up !.

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 3:14 PM, Lars Vogel <lars.vogel@googlemail.com> wrote:
Hi Gihan,

I happy to hear that my tutorials (vogella) were helpful.

Good luck with your project.

Best regards, Lars

2012/3/21 gihan karunarathne <gckarunarathne@gmail.com>
Hi David, Hi mentors :

Thank you very much David again for your interesting towards this project idea and help me to get through this.

Some are more worked up than others, but
you're free to change based on your interests, feedback, community
interest, and so on.
I will track on the feedback and other helps which are really help me to get through the process.
But I keep focus on learning XSLT and XSL with the hope of contribute to the DocBook projects.
So, I followed some tutorials of vogella [1] [2]. Those are really help me to sharpen my understanding about technologies. Also I following some complete guide tutorials [3].

In the case of building an apk from DocBook, much of the source for
the apk will be generated from DocBook at build time.
I don't understand this point clearly. Can you explain it further, David?

I would look around for some .apk books and see how close the html and other
internal resources are to .epub. If a .apk book is very close to
.epub, then it should be a pretty easy task to turn the .epub you
currently get from DocBook into a .apk file.
I don't know about the idea of .apk is going to implement from the scratch or in top of the DocBook. In case, it can implement like .epub built with the help of XHTML then it will be a easy task.

I can build it by studying .apk from its basic [4]. Or try with some alternative method which will get the external dependencies support and get the job done. As an example, I found that "AIR application for Android with the Flex SDK" [5] is doing such kind of alternative. According to my understanding with my experience about Android by roughly go through this web page, they are simply creating a Android source and manifest.xml file to configure Android settings. It also ask for java class which is similar to Activity class in Android and use Android SDK to build .apk.
According to my idea, we can generate those manifest.xml and other java class which help to build GUI in the Android by using XSLT transformation. Then use Android SDK to compile and build .apk by configure dependencies in Ant script.
Other way, we can use from the beginning method to build .apk by using XSLT transformation. If I have misunderstanding or some wrong idea with regarding this, please correct me.
Then If that's the case, you

would want to find other stuff to add to the proposal so you have
enough to do over the summer.
I will seek for another output format during this period.

We should also ask the other mentors if any are interested in this
project and what their thoughts are. I'm hoping they'll chime in.
Yes David. I also very appreciate if a mentor can help to me through out this project idea. We will wait until some one help us.
I also think, this is a critical point with regarding where should I heading. If I tried to follow any difficult method to implement this idea, I'm wasting my time.
So, any thoughts about this idea are highly valuable and appreciate for me.

Thank you in Advance !.

--
Regards
Gihan Chanuka Karunarathne