Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] DocBook -> PDF paths that aren't hugely expensive?

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 01:00:55PM +0100, Jirka Kosek wrote:
> On 22.3.2012 11:11, Robin Lee Powell wrote:
>
> > I don't mind paying for software but I can't afford the
> > thousands that XEP costs, for exmaple.
>
> According to http://www.renderx.com/download/shop.html XEP costs
> 360 USD which is not free, but far from thousands.

*facepalm*

I didn't page down in
http://www.renderx.com/files/documents/RenderX_Published_Price_List.pdf
; Sorry.

> Antenna House is for similar price if your documents are bellow
> 300 pages.

Heh.  It's not, but good to know.

> > I'm feeling a bit grumpy about the whole thing because I was
> > under the impression from the DocBook site that I could, ya
> > know, use it to produce books.    And so for that hasn't
> > actually worked out very well.
>
> I know about many books which had been directly typesetted from
> DocBook sources (I made dozen of such books myself). Usually
> commercial XSL-FO rendering engine like XEP or AntennaHouse was
> used. (FOP is almost there, but not quite yet, it certainly
> improved in past years.) If you have strong XSLT and TeX skills
> you can build on top of dblatex or db2latex, or even write your
> own transformation to TeX covering just DocBook subset used.

Yeah, I was getting to the point of considering that last option, or
using ConTeXt's new XML stuff.

-Robin

--
http://singinst.org/ :  Our last, best hope for a fantastic future.
.i ko na cpedu lo nu stidi vau loi jbopre .i danfu lu na go'i li'u .e