Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Extend supported output formats

On 1.4.2012 20:45, gihan karunarathne wrote:

> Thank you Jirka for your appreciation.
> I have to submit a proposal for this DocBook idea. So, as I mentioned above
> I like to implement Docbook support outfut format which developed using
> "phonegap" [1] and a Android Application which create apk for DocBook
> documentations with including some of native support and rich specific
> multi-tough features.
> But you mentioned that instead of going though different native formats
> it's is better to use technology like "phonegap".
> So I need to know that do you think, it isn't necessary to implement in
> Android because of phonegap can cover Android also ?. (Hope you got my
> point)

Hi,

I think that it's too early to decide on particular technology to use.
You can write proposal in a more generic way, e.g. "support output
suitable for use on iOS and Android devices". Later one you can test if
PhoneGap is powerfull enough for you needs. If so, you can relly only on
it and deliver to all supported platforms:

http://phonegap.com/about/features

If you will recognize that PhoneGap is not suitable, you will have to
develop two applications one for iOS and second for Android. Still you
can reuse DocBook generated content like HTML files and support files
for ToC and index.

> Kasun said that it is better to do the implementation in one format and
> then move to another.
> Before GSoC announced, according to the idea page it said that 'it is
> prefer to choose two types'. David also highlight it.
> So, is it have enough work load to do over summer ?

No worries, there are still things to improve in every app.