Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Indexing.

On 05/05/12 11:00, Thomas Schraitle wrote:
Any advice from those with lots of experience of using
db indexes please?

Are you asking more about the indexing task itself or about the technical
aspect?

The docbook aspects please Thomas

Speaking about the indexing task itself, IHMO this is something that some
books don't take it seriously enough. An index is a service to make the book
more accessible to readers. I've seen lots of bad index which came just as an
alibi, but with no value.
So it isn't a surprise that a good index takes time and energy. When I've
created the index of my book, it took lots of iterations and I guess it still
isn't perfect. :)

I'm hoping I can learn about the task from this book (at least a little)

If you are more interested in the technical aspect, that depends (heavily) on
your document. I assume, you write more technical documents, right? In that
case, you can automate (some) things to make the indexing more easy.

Yes, this is what I'm interested in. And yes, it is a tech document.

For example, if you write about HTML5 you will probably use<tag>  or
<sgmltag>. If you use this tag consistently, you can add some of them
(semi-)automatically to your index page through profiling. I've described this
topic in my book:

  http://doccookbook.sf.net/html/en/dbc.structure.adding-indexterms.html

Thanks... I was thinking of a manual 'edit' (addition of indexterm)
but I'll have a look at this.

With the help of profiling, this eases the pain of indexing and you can
concentrate on the more difficult parts that can't be automated.

Hope that helps and good luck with your index. :-)

Thanks Thomas

regards

--
Dave Pawson