Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Indexing.

On 05/05/12 12:52, PC Thoms wrote:
  Hi Dave

Mulvany's text is an excellent indexing manual.
The Chicago Manual of Style (http://www.chicagomanualofstyle.org/home.html)
has a concise chapter on indexing. A free trail is available, and this
manual is usually available at a library in the reference section.

I have the 14th edition. Ch 17 is apposite.

I have indexed books using docbook and TEI.
And my preference is docbook.

<grin/> Me too.

I did made a note to for myself some time back that an<indexterm>  inside a
footnote caused an error. I was using oXygenXML v12 at the time. Not sure
if this is still the case.

"Footnotes aren't normally indexed" is one piece of advice. So perhaps
docbook is right.

I did have a problem with the placement of the<indexterm>  but that was
answered at:
http://www.docbook.org/tdg51/en/html/indexterm.singular.html
Whitespace around<indexterm>  may affect placement of the IDs in PDFs
generated.

This is the sort of issue to which I referred (nothing like experience?)

Here are two examples of the<indexterm>  that have worked for me.

<!-- SIMPLE INDEX ENTRY EXAMPLE  -->

<!-- STARTOFRANGE TO ENDOFRANGE  -->

<indexterm class="startofrange" xml:id="aaa1">
<primary sortas=" Shakespeare ">The Shakespeare</primary>
</indexterm>
  . . . .
  . . . .
<indexterm class="endofrange" startref="aaa1" />

I knew it existed, though I haven't used it.

Overall I have been pretty satisfied indexing with docbook.

And Dave, I know you are familiar with Bob Sagehill's book which has the
following:
http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/GenerateIndex.html

Indexing an e-text it is very easy to over index. Generally an indexer is
allotted a limited number of pages for an index, but in an e-text what's a
few more bits. A bigger index does not mean a better index.

Common sense and balance? Paper (modulo 32 is not an issue in my case).

Happy Indexing

I'll report back!

Thanks.

regards