Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Padding on admonitions (fo stylesheets)

Hi Dick,
I have run across this problem too, and so I finally looked it up. It seems this is a feature of the XSL-FO specification. In section 5.3.2 "Margin, Space, and Indent Properties" in the chapter titled "Property Refinement / Resolution", I find this statement:

If the corresponding absolute margin property is not explicitly specified, or if the corresponding relative

property is specified on the formatting object and the absolute property only specified by the expansion

of a shorthand, the corresponding absolute margin property is calculated according to the following

formulae:

margin-corresponding = start-indent - inherited_value_of(start-indent)

- padding-corresponding - border-corresponding-width

In other words, if you do not specify a margin property for a block with padding, it assumes you want the text aligned with the text above it and so reduces that margin to provide space for the border and padding so the text still lines up. Adding the margin property is the right solution when you want the box to line up and the text to be padded inside the box.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Richard Hamilton" <hamilton@xmlpress.net>
Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2012 6:23 PM

I just ran into something curious with the 1.76.1 ns stylesheets (also using RenderX).

I'm trying to create an admonition style that has a shaded background with the text inside surrounded by 8pts of padding.

To do that, I did nothing to any of the xsl, I just set padding="8pts" and background-color="#E0E0E0" in the admonition.properties attribute set.

That works, but the outside bounds of the admonition now extend 8pts beyond the outside margin. If I set the padding to 0pts, the text stays the same, but the background shrinks to the size of the text.

I thought padding was defined as it is for table cells, that is the space between the boundary of the box and the contents. I would expect, of course, that this would potentially cause the box to expand vertically (at least in western text), but not horizontally, and not outside the text margin.

Am I misinterpreting the meaning of padding, or is there a potential bug here?

BTW, I "fixed" the problem by setting margin="0pts" but that seems to be somehow wrong:-).

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks,
Dick Hamilton
-------